What Is Roulette and How to Play It
It is a table casino game that originated in the 18th century in Europe. You have a wheel with 37 or 38 pockets (depending on the version), and each pocket is reserved for a different number. The dealer will spin the ball on the wheel, and it will eventually land in one of the pockets. That number will be considered the winning one, and you will win some money if you guessed right.
The money you win will depend on two things – the type and the size of the bet you made. The biggest payout in online roulette comes if you guess the right number. In that case, you can expect a 35:1 payout. That means you will receive your bet back and win 35x the amount you wagered.
What Are Other Betting Types Available?
When playing online casino roulette, you can bet on the winning number (straight bet), but you also have several other options at your disposal. These include inside and outside wagers.
- Split – if you place your chips between two numbers, you will split the bet between them. The expected payout is 17:1.
- Street – when you put your tokens on the outer side of a row, you will evenly split the bet across the three numbers in that row. The payout is 11:1 if you guess right.
- Quarter – it is also known as a corner or square bet, and it covers four numbers. You can put the chips between them, and the payout is 8:1.
- Trio and Basket – these two types include the zero pocket. In trio bet, you place your chips on “0, 1, 2,” or “0, 2, 3” combination of numbers. The payout is 11:1. The basket bet covers “0, 1, 2, 3” pockets, and you place it by putting your chip on the outer row. If you guess right, you can expect an 8:1 win.
- Six-line bet – it covers a total of two rows or six numbers. The payout is 5:1.
The players of online roulette call these the outside bets because they do not involve betting on the numbers directly. Here are the options at your disposal.
- Red or black – if you pay attention to the wheel, you will notice that all numbers have red or black colors except from zero. If you guess the color right, you can expect a 1:1 winning.
- Low or high – betting on low numbers secures a win if the winning pocket is any number between 1 to 18 while high wagers cover those from 19 to 36. The payout is the same on both – 1:1.
- Odd or even – here you will be betting on whether the winning number will be odd or even. If you are right, the game will pay you to double your stake (1:1).
- Dozens – the three different available bets are on numbers between 1 and 12 (first dozen), those from 13 to 24 (second dozen), and 25 to 36 (third dozen). You can expect a 2:1 win if you guess right.
- Columns – you will notice that the numbers are divided into three columns across the board. Choose the winning column and expect a 2:1 win.
Roulette in Canada
What is the best online roulette Canada can offer? That is a good question, and the good news is that you have a wide range of operators that offer this game. Many of those providers are available throughout the entire world, which means that the same rules apply to Canadian players as to all others.
Here are some tips on how to choose online roulette if you are a Canada-based player:
- Make sure the website has the necessary licenses – you do not want to end up playing on a shady website with a questionable reputation. A premium gaming site will ensure to obtain the licenses for relevant gambling authorities, as well as independent testing entities.
- Do they offer bonuses? – your preferred online casino should offer welcoming bonuses to new players, as well as other incentives, such as cashback and loyalty programs.
- Stake size – the majority of platforms will offer tables with different minimum and maximum wager per number. Make sure that the betting and payout structures are by your playing style.
Automatic Online Roulette or Live Dealer Sessions?
Once you join the desired internet platform, you will have the option to play online roulette sessions with a live dealer, or the automatic versions. The names are self-explanatory as live sessions are streamed from an actual casino or professional studio, and automatic variant is software-based.
Try the Rapid Version for More Excitement
Apart from the standard variants, you may also choose the rapid version of the game. The rules are the same, and the only difference is that the time for making the bets was shortened. Thanks to that, the dealer (or software) can make more spins per hour, which secures high-paced action or all those who are looking to take the excitement to the next level.
Types of Roulette
Now that you know the basics of online roulette, it is time to get familiar with the different variations of the game. If you want to play online, you can choose between three different variants, and we will list them below.
It is a game that originated in Europe, so it doesn’t come as strange that this version is arguably the most popular one throughout the world. The European variant features a total of 37 pockets on the wheel – those marked with numbers from 1 to 36 and colored red and black, and an additional “zero” pocket marked green.
If you want to play the European version of roulette online, the chances are you will find it in the majority of web-based casinos. Placing the bets is quite simple as you have a horizontal layout with the numbers at the center and other bets on the sides.
You may also find a French version of online roulette, which only varies slightly compared to the European variant. It also uses a single-zero wheel and the order of numbers is the same. However, it has two rules that make it different from the European one.
French version employs these specific rules:
- La Partage – if you place an outside wager and the ball lands on “zero,” you are eligible to receive half of the stake back instead of losing it completely.
- En Prison – it also applies to outside wagers and the ball landing on “zero.” This rule locks your bet, which means it remains in place for the next spin. If you win, you get the stake back.
If you are a fan of the roulette game, it may be interesting to know that the French variant was probably the first that ever appeared on the market.
The American version of online roulette seemed to become popular with the appearance of internet casinos. The order of numbers on the wheel looks differently, and we have an additional “double zero” pocket. Although that raises the number of pockets to 38, the payouts are the same.
Apart from the different wheel setup, it is the house advantage that makes the difference in this version compared to the other ones. If you want to play roulette, you should be ready for the fact that the house will have a 5.26%, which is almost two times more than in other variants.
The best way for you to learn the rules of online roulette is to head to a table and start playing it. The majority of casinos will offer play money to try out these gambling games and get used to them before investing real cash.
Here is the step by step instructions on what will happen during every spin.
- Once you come to the table, you will receive betting chips. You use these to place them on the desired bets. Please note that there is a timer for every spin which restricts the available time for placing wagers. When placing the bets, keep in mind that the table has both minimum and maximum wagers, and you are required to honor them.
- When the timer expires, the dealer (or software) will spin the ball. Everyone waits to see what the winning number will be.
- Based on the winning number, the dealers will pay to the players who guessed right. You will notice the overall sum you have increasing. The next spin will then begin.
As you can see, online roulette is not difficult. As a game that is simple to learn and exciting to play, it is understandable why players from throughout the world love it. Go ahead and give it a shot today to try and win big money!