Online Blackjack – Main Objective and Scoring
The primary objective of every player is to have a total value of cards of 21 or as close to that number as possible. The trick is, however, that you cannot go over 21 or you will automatically lose that round.
The second condition to win is to have better cards than the dealer, which means you should be closer to 21 than them. Even though several players can be at the same table, each of them is competing only against the dealer. If you hit 21, the payout should be 3:2, but even if you don’t, you can expect even money payout if you outsmart the opponent.
When it comes to scoring blackjack games, cards from 2 to 10 have their face value. If you come across 10, J, Q, or K, they are valued 10. An ace, however, can be worth “1” or “11” depending on your needs. You are welcome to use both values during the round any way you see fit.
How to Play Blackjack Online
Each round starts by the players placing bets, and then the dealer deals the cards to all players, including themselves. Each player gets two cards in the beginning. Depending on the game variation, the dealer may place one of their cards face up, and reveal it to the players.
The next move in online blackjack is for the players to make. The options are the following:
- Hit – ask the dealer to give you another card if you think that will get you closer to 21 without crossing that limit. If necessary, you can ask for as many cards as you want, but if you go over 21, you will lose the round.
- Stand – keep the cards you have in your hands and pass the move to the competitor.
- Split – if you have a pair in your hands, it may be wise to split it and play with two hands instead of one. You will need to add the original bet sum to cover the new hand you formed. The dealer will deal you the additional cards.
- Double down – you can double your initial bet once you see the first two cards. In that case, you can win more, but you will agree to receive only one more card. It will be revealed at the end of the round.
- Surrender – some casinos allow you to give up and keep half of your stake after you see your initial hand.
- Insurance – if the dealer holds an ace, you can play a side insurance bet. In case they hit 21, you will receive the amount of your initial stake back.
Once the players at the online blackjack table finish with their moves, it is time for the dealer to turn their second card. Depending on the situation and the casino, they will either draw or stand. If the dealer busts, the hand is ended immediately. If not, it is time for card comparison.
The winner of the round is every player who is closer to 21 than the dealer. Once that is confirmed, you get your winnings, and the round ends.
If you are wondering where to play the best blackjack has to offer; the answer would be on the internet. The reason is simple – you can from the comfort of your home whenever you want. Online casinos are available around the clock, and all you need is to register for an account.
You can try free blackjack in play money, but if you want real excitement, think about adding real cash to your account. You will love the unmatchable thrill of the game in which you have to act quickly.
When choosing the ideal online blackjack provider for your preference, there are several factors to consider:
- Is the platform available in your country? – Canadian gamblers should make sure that the operator offers services in their country.
- A safe and reliable platform – obtaining required licenses, ensuring secure transactions and fair play, are only some conditions that make a website reliable.
- Available game variations – whether you love the classic 21 variants or you want a couple of twists in the rules, it is important that the site has the variant you want to play.
You do not have to do the footwork of identifying the right online blackjack operator that perfectly suits your playing style. Our expert team has done the job of reviewing the operators for you, and you should only choose the desired website to start playing today.
Types of Blackjack
You can find many blackjack types out there, and the reason for that is the incredible popularity of this game. We have already covered the rules of the default version, but what if you want to spice things up a bit? In that case, you may want to consider one of these:
- Switch – you get two hands instead of one at the beginning. You can switch the second card between the hands if you estimate that to be a smart move.
- Perfect pairs – an additional side bet that you will win if you get a pair from the dealer at the beginning of the round.
- Super Fun 21 – a single deck and the rule that guarantees the player wins in case both them and the dealer have 21. The payout is 1:1 instead of 3:2. There are additional payouts, including a special 2:1 ratio for diamond 21.
- Pontoon – the dealer will hide both of their cards, which makes things more difficult for the players.
- Progressive – in some cases, creators will combine different casino games. The Progressive variant requires a side bet that is added to a jackpot prize pool. The pool is constantly increasing until a random lucky player wins it at some point.
Online Blackjack – American or European Version?
While playing on the web, you may encounter two versions of the game – American and European. In most casinos, you will get to chance to play the former variant where the dealer immediately deals two cards to themselves.
In the European version, the dealer gets a single card first, and it is mandatory for them to reveal it (unless the specific game variant requires otherwise). The dealer gets the second card only after the players complete their moves.
Tips and Tricks
Now that you have grasped how online blackjack works, it is time to start improving your game. Please note that card counting is not effective when playing on the web, but here is what may help you to come up with the best strategy.
Basic Strategy Chart
If you search the internet, you will easily find a basic strategy chart with the list of moves you should make depending on the in-game situation. These charts are based on statistics, which means the move listed there will give you the biggest chance of winning the round.
However, keep in mind that the charts won’t work every time. It is essential to stick to these tactics in long-term and be patient to boost your winnings. Additionally, make sure to use the right strategy table as the moves depend on the number of decks used.
To Split or Not to Split
The online blackjack strategy charts and statistics also suggest which pairs you should split or keep in your hands. That includes:
- Splitting if you have a pair of aces or eights.
- Not splitting if you have a pair of fives or tens.
Doubling down can also be a smart bet in some situations. Think about doing that when this happens:
- You have a nine and the dealer’s face up card is five or six.
- The total value of your hand is 10, and the dealer’s face card is four, five, or six.
- You have a total value of 11 in your hands.
You can use these tips across all casino games that you play. First of all, you need to set aside your gambling budget. Make sure only to use the sum you can afford to lose, so do not invest your daily budget or rent money. Also, never go above the amount you planned to spend as that can get you in serious problems.
Why is this important? Because online blackjack requires concentration and focus. If you are afraid that you will lose the money you wagered, you will lose your mojo. By making your peace with any potential outcome and knowing it can’t significantly affect you, you can focus on the game and make your best moves.